COURSES IN WATERCOLOUR, by Johan Brink
Updated: Jun 11
Art-for-All offers two courses in watercolour - one for beginners, and another for more advanced artists.
• Watercolour – beginners and beyond.
• “Paint with Johan” mentoring workshop.
Our fully equipped, air-conditioned studio in Storms River Village offers easels, table workstations and other basic studio equipment. Materials required for your courses can be supplied through the studio if you cannot get hold of everything you need to bring with. Please arrange with us before the time!
WATERCOLOUR - BEGINNERS & BEYOND (3 days)
1. Equipment, materials & accessories.
4. Colour mixing.
5. Rules: Composition, perspective, depth, colour theory.
6. Basic steps of creating a painting.
7. What is art?
8. Finishing touches.
9. Studio & workstation.
10. Step onto the road to success!
• Watercolour paints, preferably in tubes. We recommend Winsor & Newton “Cotman” paints. Cadmium Red, Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Orange, Light Red, Cerulean Blue, French Ultra Marine, Cobalt Blue, Winsor (or Prussian) Blue, Raw Umber, Alizarin Crimson, Indian Red, Raw Sienna, Hooker’s Green, Payne’s Grey. We do, however, supply you with a palette with sufficient paint to last you through the course.
• Masking fluid. Dala makes a good one. Share a bottle with someone if you can… it goes a long way!
• Watercolour paper. We will supply for initial exercises and charge per sheet used thereafter. We recommend Saunders, Arches or Fabriano 300 gram Not (cold pressed) paper (or, preferably, 640 gram.) Bockingford 425g will do and is less expensive. Beware of cheap paper! Brown gummed tape, 1 ½ inch wide. We will supply.
• Watercolour brushes: This is tricky… bring what you’ve got. The best brush is sable hair, but very expensive. Winsor & Newton’s “Sceptre Gold” brushes are recommended. They are a mix of sable and synthetic… lovely brushes that will last for many years, hold large amounts of paint. Beware of cheap brushes. If you buy synthetic brushes, get the best quality. You will need:
1 x round No. 14, 1 x round No. 8, 1 x 1 & ¾ inch “hake” brush (45mm) and 1 x 19mm flat brush or mop brush. This is VERY important for washes, so a filbert of either squirrel or sable/synthetic is recommended. Please call Johan at (082) 296 2000 for advice.
• Plastic palette with at least 12 wells for holding paint. This is very important… or two smaller palettes will do. We supply this with paint for the course and you can purchase it after the course.
• Ruler, good-quality pencils (1 x 2B, 1 x 4B), pencil sharpener, putty eraser, sketch pad.
• Masking tape, 36mm wide.
• Craft knife or “Stanley” knife… nice to have, or use ours.
• Most importantly, enthusiasm - as much as you can bring! It costs nothing.
"PAINT WITH JOHAN" MENTORING WORKSHOP (3 days)
Not for beginners.
Spend three days tapping into the creative experience with your tutor and your fellow participants. Be inspired by Johan's demonstrations of landscape painting, recognizable abstracts and fast, fun work. Each artist decides what she or he would like to do and also benefit from the creative energy of the group. The learning curve is dramatic. Also benefit from casual discussions on how to market your art, making art prints, and framing. Bring reference materials, choose from our reference photos, or take photos in the village. The village does not offer colour printing facilities, but you can work from your tablets.
Bring along your usual art materials and watercolour paper. Also refer to the “Materials” section above. Please call Johan at (082) 296 2000 for advice.
• R2500 per 3-day course (including refreshments during breaks and 3 lunches).
• Costs are the same for both courses.
• Discount of 5% for groups (two or more people)
• Regular weekly classes can be arranged.
• Discount for local residents. Please enquire.
• A deposit of R750 is required upon booking, with the balance due when the course starts; or we can arrange a monthly payment plan. Fifty per cent of the deposit can be refunded if a cancellation is received up to one month before the course starts; no refunds if cancelled less than a month before the course or if the course has been postponed already.
WATERCOLOUR COURSE SCHEDULE 2021 (Tailor-made courses are available.)
JANUARY 6 – 8 (Wed. to Fri.) “Paint with Johan” mentoring workshop.
JANUARY 18 – 20 (Mon. to Wed.) Watercolour – Beginners and beyond.
FEBRUARY 3 - 5 (Wed. to Fri.) Watercolour – Beginners and beyond.
FEBRUARY 15 – 17 (Mon. to Wed.) “Paint with Johan” mentoring workshop.
MARCH 3 - 5 (Wed. to Fri.) Watercolour – Beginners and beyond.
MARCH 15 – 17 (Mon. to Wed.) “Paint with Johan” mentoring workshop.
APRIL 7 - 9 (Wed. to Fri.) Watercolour – Beginners and beyond.
APRIL 19 - 21 (Mon. to Wed.) “Paint with Johan” mentoring workshop.
MAY 5 - 7 (Wed. to Fri.) Watercolour – Beginners and beyond.
MAY 17 - 19 (Mon. to Wed.) “Paint with Johan” mentoring workshop.
JUNE 2 - 4 (Wed. to Fri.) Watercolour – Beginners and beyond.
JUNE 14 - 16 (Mon. to Wed.) “Paint with Johan” mentoring workshop.
JULY 7 - 9 (Wed. to Fri.) Watercolour – Beginners and beyond.
JULY 19 - 21 (Mon. to Wed.) “Paint with Johan” mentoring workshop.
AUGUST 4 - 6 (Wed. to Fri.) Watercolour – Beginners and beyond.
AUGUST 16 - 18 (Mon. to Wed.) “Paint with Johan” mentoring workshop.
SEPTEMBER 8 - 10 (Wed. to Fri.) Watercolour – Beginners and beyond.
SEPTEMBER 20 - 22 (Mon. to Wed.) “Paint with Johan” mentoring workshop.
OCTOBER 6 - 8 (Wed. to Fri.) Watercolour – Beginners and beyond.
OCTOBER 18 - 20 (Mon. to Wed.) “Paint with Johan” mentoring workshop.
NOVEMBER 3 - 5 (Wed. to Fri.) Watercolour – Beginners and beyond.
NOVEMBER 15 - 17 (Mon. to Wed.) “Paint with Johan” mentoring workshop.
DECEMBER 8 – 10 (Wed. to Fri.) Watercolour – Beginners and beyond.
ACCOMMODATION & ACTIVITIES
Storms River Village is a popular adventure tourism destination that offers adventure and outdoors activities, nature trails, birding, restaurants and a spa. Selected accommodation options are available to our students at preferential rates - all within walking distance of the studio. The relevant information will also be supplied to you. Give us a call - we would love to share our art and our village with you. Also, have a peek at our Facebook page and website:
MORE INFORMATION: Contact JOHAN at (082) 296 2000 / (042) 2822 045 after hours or email@example.com.
Watercolour paper... what you need to know - https://www.artforallgallery.co.za/post/watercolour-paper-what-you-need-to-know
The Art of learning Art - https://www.artforallgallery.co.za/post/the-art-of-learning-art